Dual Loyalties

My opinion on the people who shape our world

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Steve Sailer: iSteve.com Archives: Wolfowitz of Arabia

Steve Sailer: iSteve.com Archives: Wolfowitz of Arabia: "Wolfowitz of Arabia

Wolfowitz of Arabia: Neocon's Secret Motivation Revealed


Is this the face that launched a thousand RPGs?


On the 684th and last page of T.E. Lawrence's eloquent memoir Seven Pillars of Wisdom comes the stunning statement that Lawrence actually had a secret reason for giving the Arabs their freedom and he's not going to tell the reader what it is:


"Damascus had not seemed a sheath for my sword, when I landed in Arabia, but its capture disclosed the exhaustion of my main springs of action. The strongest motive throughout had been a personal one, not mentioned here, but present to me, I think, every hour these two years. Active pains and joys might fling up, like towers, among my days: but, refluent as air, this hidden urge re-formed, to be the persisting element of life, till near the end. It was dead, before we reached Damascus." [Emphasis added.]


The clearest answer Lawrence ever provided was once, when asked why he had fought for Arab independence, he replied, ""Personal: I liked a particular Arab, and I thought that freedom for the race would be an acceptable present." This fits with the mysterious dedicatory poem at the beginning of Seven Pillars:"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home